[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - O tempora! O mores! or Ukulele's Garand blues.

O tempora! O mores! or Ukulele's Garand blues.

A place to shoot the breeze.

That shot should have been taken:

with iron sights you old n00b.
29%
without iron sights; you're obviously cursed, please don't talk to me again.
24%
what shot? What's a Garand?
47%

Total votes : 17

O tempora! O mores! or Ukulele's Garand blues.

Postby Cpt Ukulele » Mon May 08, 2006 11:19 am

If you've been reading the DoD forum, you know weapons and especially the Garand have been discussed ad nauseam. However, I couldn't find a weapons rant in here. I really think we need one. Yep, that's right. I present Ukulele's Garand rant (and when Ukulele is speaking at the 3rd person, you know there's something wrong). So sit back, relax, and be disgusted with me.

Back in old DoD, I learned the basics by using the Thompson/MP40. Easy to control, at least I could hit something. I then gradually moved to the MP44, then to the Kar. By now I could (more or less) aim, and dropping an enemy in one crappily adjusted shot in the toes was a joy. At some point I noticed that some players were doing well with the bar, so I tried it. Once you had the recoil/burst fire thing down, it was a pretty awesome gun. Accurate at range, and capable of eliminating a bunch of axis with one clip. Eventually I tried the Garand. And I sucked. I couldn't aim with it. I would do all right with a kar and miss most of my shots with a Garand. I think it had to do with the way the gun was displayed on screen, something was amiss. Well, eventually I got it and it was an excellent, enjoyable weapon.

I love rifles. Killing an opponent with only one (or two!) adjusted shots is very rewarding. Quick, deadly, clean. None of that messy spraying and praying. I can know where every single one of my bullets went. I considered the rifles as the ultimate weapons in old DoD.

Fast forward to yesterday. It's another Sunday evening, and I'm again playing DoD:S. Jeez Ukulele! Get off you butt and go grab some potato chips!

My computer sucks; I play in 800x600 and usually my fps hovers in the 20-25-30, with frequent dips to 15. Sora or Harvest give me 10 fps sometimes. At any rate, I don't think I have the fps for a comfortable use of the rifles. It's especially bad with the Garand. With the Kar, at least if I manage to land a shot, it's often enough. But it's particularly bad with the Garand, where multiple hits are generally needed in order to drop a guy.

Anyway, it's Railroad, and this is the map where I can use a Garand in the least unfavorable conditions fps-wise. I'm such a sucker, I choose to use a Garand. "Ukulele, you're such a sucker!". Of course there are days when you can do no wrong, when it seems that every single axis that comes your way has been previously teamwounded in spawn, or half blown up by a stray nade, or just shouldn't have passed the Wehrmacht quality control, and is killed by one Garand shot in the, err, hum, wherever the shot actually lands in fact. Yesterday wasn't one of those days.

Oh yeah, I finished positive, not that great though. I indeed don't know how that happened as I felt I played like crap during the whole match. As you can see I eventually broke down and picked up a bar for the last 2 minutes of the map. I know, you're gonna tell me "look! LEX LEE is almost 2:1 with a Garand". Don't talk to me about lex, okay? He's a camping, suicide-nading biatch (just kidding. Well mostly kidding)...

At that point, only one reader is still with me. And he's asking: "But, Captain/Ukulele/Uke/dumbass, if you know you get frustrated with the Garand, why do you keep using it"? I told you, I love rifles. Also, during the last scrim I ended up with a rifle for half the match due to weapons limits, and I didn't do nearly as well as I should have, so I want to improve. Also, I'm an S&M leather fetishist, that might explain part of it.

So at some point in the game, yesterday evening, I spotted an axis pitching a tent on the side of the middle. I knew he was using a MP40. A camping MP40, haha! what a n00b, I said in petto (yes, ladies and gentlemen, that's a third latin expression in one post for you).

I then proceeded to quickly make a prayer, as always before firing the Garand, and shot four carefully adjusted rounds at the unsuspecting bastard. By the 3rd I think he realized somebody was shooting at him. Just after the 4th, he spotted me, opened fire and killed me at what seemed to be his 3rd or 4th bullet. Needless to say I was pretty disgusted. I'm not the one to type "BS" every time I get killed (in fact I never do), but that was unbelievable. Actually I typed it out for the edification of my dead teammates: "unbelievable" I said.

I took 4 (four) well adjusted shots, nowhere near the maximum rate of fire, with a crosshair squarely centered on the guy about 70 feet away and none of those hit him. The icing on the cake was that he got me, me! with my 100 hp! with a short burst from across the plaza with a notoriously inaccurate weapon. How on earth?! What in the world?! Whisky Tango Hotel?! That was very frustrating.

Being a good old idiot who still occasionally right click to butt-smack in close quarters, I didn't think of using the iron sights at that range. I mean he wasn't that far anyway. Am I wrong in thinking I could hit him without the IS? Am I still stuck in a parallel universe?

Oh yes, I hear the nay-sayers. "Ukulele, didn't you get the memo? The Garand is the most accurate weapon in the game. More accurate than a kar!1!!" Yes the devs have provided that answer, with accuracy numbers to support it. I don't trust numbers, I trust my gut (pretty good Stephen, pretty good). In that case, we were both standing still, crouched actually, so lag, choke whatever wasn't an issue. And yet I couldn't hit him once.

Can the Garand be used at mid-range without IS? Can it be played effectively while pushing on the front lines? Does it need a lucky player to be used consistently with any result, as does the pistol (yes, Def, I admit, those times I repeatedly pistol you on Kalt, I'm just a lucky bastard)?

What was wrong with a one-shot one-kill anywhere kar and a one-shot one-kill torso/head Garand as in old DoD? Did you guys that went to Valve used the Garand a bit? Did you notice any tweak? Do any of you know, for crying out loud, where I put the peanut butter? And if you do, where is the freaking bread?! So many questions...

Oh well. This is it my friend, the end of the post. I kid you not, you're almost there. As for me, I guess I'll take a break from the Garand for a while, that is until the longing for some rifle goodness becomes too strong again to resist.

P.S. Hey you, yes you! You thought you could skip the whole post, just read the last line and get its juicy substance in one short glance? You were right; here it is: I'm an S&M leather fetishist.

Postby Defpotec » Mon May 08, 2006 11:44 am

Well, I'm not sure how I feel about an S&M leather fetishist getting lucky with me, but uh... the rifles aren't as accurate as they used to be while just using crosshairs, so you should have used ironsights. I need to go throw up now...

Re: O tempora! O mores! or Ukulele's Garand blues.

Postby Crud » Mon May 08, 2006 11:47 am

Postby Cpt. Thompson » Mon May 08, 2006 11:51 am

Postby eric » Mon May 08, 2006 11:55 am

Postby Mad Martigan » Mon May 08, 2006 12:03 pm

About the reference to the valve trip, they probably won't do anything to the rifles, and if they do do something, they'll probably be gimp'n them more.

You can blame steamboat jr.'s rifle preformance for this....rat bastard...

I also dislike what they did to the garand. It was one of my favorite rifles in the game and I would choose it or it's german equiflent over most other weapons in the game. The way I see it is that the new Kar is a slightly slower version of the 1.3 garand, and the new garand is like a slower version of the 1.3 bar.

Postby Finntroll » Mon May 08, 2006 12:14 pm

They made it in 1.3 so that you could use the rifles without IS's, and decided to change it in source. So that all the rifle lovers who loved to assault with rifles were screwed unless they could bring up IS's and aim REALLY quickly. I used to play with nothing but rifles, cant anymore.

Troll

Postby Rommel » Mon May 08, 2006 1:54 pm

Did anybody else's eyes glaze over after the first few sentences?

Postby Steamboat_Willy_Sr » Mon May 08, 2006 3:13 pm

While I cannot speak from personal experience, I'm too old and slow on the reflexes to make them work, I can tell you that Jr. has no problem with either of the rifles. He started to read this with me until you got to the point of not using the IS, at that point, he told me to tell you, against my wishes, that learning how to use the ironsights makes those rifles into rail guns.....again ala 1.3. I've sat back and watched Jr., as did the Valve devs in amazement at his proficiency with them. Frickin' nineteen year olds with their lighting reflexes, that's one of the reasons I make him join the team I'm on. :D

Postby Verman » Mon May 08, 2006 3:38 pm

I don't even want to talk about Jr. at Valve. That kid needs to be banned from the rifle. Unless he is on my team. lol

Postby Denzildon » Mon May 08, 2006 4:50 pm

Good post bradah!!! The k98 and the garand are both accurate guns!!! In the real world both of them can kill you with one shot. But remember, this its a game, the developers made the garand less powerfull to keep the game balance.

The germans during world war II indeed had a disadvantage in terms of cocking the gun on every shot. A good example is if there was bunkers 10 meters away, each has one soldier, the german has the k98 and the allied had a garand(duh :roll: ). Who will win a straight shoot out? The allied has a greater chance to kill the other man because of its automatic cock mechanism.

To tell you the truth of all the guns in DOD this is my lease favorite because I can't kill a cockroach with it. I just recently picked it up again and currently practicing it. Last night on one of the new maps I think I managed to get 65:40 ratio which I think is not bad. Remember, practice and BALLS makes perfect!!!

**TIP**
If you wan to practice the garand use it on open maps. Unless your JR with the gifted balls ,ehem, I mean hands with the garand. Don't use it yet in a CQB map like railroad. For starters, crouch while your shooting. It will give you better steady shot rather than standing. Aim for the chest and the head area always. And finally learn to aim and control the recoil when your doing succesive shots....if you can control an undeployed mg's recoil you can control the garand. :P

Postby Cpt Ukulele » Mon May 08, 2006 5:56 pm

Postby Quisp » Mon May 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Postby Bib Fortuna » Mon May 08, 2006 8:52 pm

"But then an even greater force emerged, “the un,” and “the un” un-Nazi’d the world, forever!"

Postby General Nuisance » Tue May 09, 2006 1:53 am

ImageImage

Next

Return to The barracks