[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - New DVD format war

New DVD format war

A place to shoot the breeze.

Which DVD format will win?

Blu-Ray
33%
HD-DVD
33%
Both
13%
None, a new format will come out before it's decided who wins.
20%

Total votes : 15

New DVD format war

Postby Quisp » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:13 am

I wanted to ask this question before the products started showing up on the US market.
So, what DVD format do you think will win this war.

Blu-Ray
or
HD-DVD
or
Both

Now your wondering why I put "both" well read this

Postby Renegade » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:54 am

HD-DVD. Sony's Blue Ray won't win just cause its more expensive.

Postby The Spanish Inquisition » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:09 pm

What about, "Do not care" option.
Image Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Troll

Postby Rommel » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:18 pm

I want the best one damn it...I don't want the VHS of disk.

Postby Spud » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:34 pm

well considering the PS3 i will be getting will have a blu-ray in it i don't think buying a new hd dvd would be that expensive if they end up making it instead .... so either way i think i'm covered

Postby Crud » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:43 pm

I as well will be PS3 so Blu-Ray for me, but I really don't care about HD DVD thing... :roll:

Postby Mad Martigan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:05 pm

I'm afraid that, as a washington state citizen, I am obligated to support the HD-DVD format.

Postby Quisp » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:24 pm

All I have to say is Sony can suck my ****, I will never, never buy any product that has a Sony name on it.

Postby xKaMIkaZex » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:16 am

Is there really that much of a noticeable difference between DVDs and HD DVDs as far as picture quality and such of movies?

Postby Quisp » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:03 pm

You can read up on TV Tech with a few links, here ya go.

Postby Fire Marshal » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:59 pm

Where is the "these words are all greek to me" option? :lol:

Postby Denzildon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:36 pm

I don't care. Give them a 1 yr or so and prices would drop and everybody would have it. :D

Postby yoda » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:00 am

I second that sentiment quisp. Sony has some of the worse customer service on the planet.

I bought a camera from them once and barely used it for a year. My luck would have it-of course-it breaks a week after the warranty expires. I think i've only used the camera 4-5 times before that. I called Sony's customer care and asked them if they can help out a long time Sony customer. ( I literally added up all the sony product i had in my house and it was close to $15K. I had TVs, cameras, playstations, computers, laptops, clock, etc.)
To make a long story short, they told me that I had to pay $250 to them to ATTEMPT to fix unit. I tried reasoning with them that I could buy the same new camera at Best Buy for $175.00.

"Policy is policy," the Sony rep answered.

"Can I speak to a supervisor, " said I.

"I am the supervisor," said the rep.

Well, I haven't bought a single sony product since this happened to me 3 years ago. Screw them.

I do have a happier customer service story to tell you folks. I recently bought a Dyson vacuum; it costs about $600.00. It recently brought after 6 months of use. I called Dyson's customer care and they offered to refund the money to me and send me a replacement unit for free.

I just got my free $600.00 vacuum the other day and the $600.00 check is in the mail. Dyson ROCKS!

Ok, it's bed time.

Ciao.

Postby Bib Fortuna » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:29 am

After spending a few years converting my modest VHS collection to DVD, I'm not switching format this soon. I might have an HDTV someday, but it won't be so big that I'm going to notice the lesser DVD format vs the HDDVD or BLU-RAY formats.

I've seen regular DVD on an HDTV and it doesn't look that bad. I'm not so sure if I need to be distracted by the dirty pores on an actors face. I think there are really only a handful of movies that will benefit from this format, and "A Knight's Tale" sure as hell isn't one of them.
"But then an even greater force emerged, “the un,” and “the un” un-Nazi’d the world, forever!"

Postby Crud » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:57 pm

Return to The barracks