[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Community PC Build

Community PC Build

A place to shoot the breeze.

Vote for CPU

AMD ATHLON 64 3800+ (VENICE) $120.86
13%
AMD ATHLON 64 4000+ (SAN DIEGO) $137.34
31%
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ (MANCHESTER) $162.06
56%
Other, please leave comment
No votes

Total votes : 16

Community PC Build

Postby Quisp » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:48 am

Ok everyone I'll let you build my missing parts pc.
I need a CPU, GPU, PSU and a case.

I will be putting in 1gig ram, cdrom, and use the onboard sound.
I am looking to keep a budget around $400+-.

Depending on how this thing works it may be a dedicated source machine only.
Otherwise it will be used as storage device or office pc.
I have a cheap motherboard and I just need a few parts.
I will post one part each day for voting until finished
(4 days, this is day 1).

Remember the budget here
I listed parts in the order of good, better, best (per the budget)
but if I go for best now I may have to sacrifice on the other parts.

The motherboard is
$69.99

Todays vote is for the CPU
$120.86
$137.34
$162.06

They all have
64-BIT
SOCKET 939
RETAIL BOXED
W/COOLING FAN
(3 YEARS WARRANTY)

prices include shipping

Troll

Postby Rommel » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:04 am

I voted the X2 but I also really like the 4000+ ;p
I didn't read the post first before voting so 4000+ first then X2 ;p

Postby Enigma » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:51 am

I'm currently using a 3800x2 @2.5 and have been fairly happy, but need to go back and check my OC. I do notice a huge improvement in framerates as it's the current bottleneck.

Postby Mad Martigan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:14 am

I say go with the cheapest option. The biggest resourse hog you're gonna have is source and that'll run source no problem.

If you want to upgrade, then you can always do it later with the REALLY REALLY nice cpus are generally cheap.

Troll

Postby Rommel » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:28 am

Well HL2's main bottleneck is gonna be the CPU, so I wouldn't say go with the cheapest, but a 3700 does good and a 4000 will do fine too.

That doesn't really matter as the price difference is only a few dollars thats why I say take a 4000+ with 1MB cache.

Postby DArkness » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:48 pm

The 3800 x2 runs great.
Kaminazi: c’mon guys, how ****ing long does it take to catch on that darkness is knifing you every time you smoke to grab the flag

Postby Quisp » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:59 pm

nice sig dark

Postby Quisp » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:45 am

AMD ATHLON 64 3800+ (VENICE) $120.86 - 8% [ 1 ]
AMD ATHLON 64 4000+ (SAN DIEGO) $137.34 - 25% [ 3 ]
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ (MANCHESTER) $162.06 - 66% [ 8 ]
Other, please leave comment - 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 12

Well it looks like I'll be ordering the
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ (MANCHESTER) $162.06.

Thats not going to leave me much money for other parts,
we will see what I can find in a GPU next.

Troll

Postby Rommel » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:06 am

I think you should allow us to vote again on the final setup.

This is a computer by committee and as a member of the committee I want a vote on the final after all parts options have been revealed. ;p

Postby Verman » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:54 pm

I know that board and would not spend alot on the cpu. lol
The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

George Carlin

Postby Quisp » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:31 pm

thats was my thought too, that is why I said good, better, best.
The mobo is $69 so I figure double that for CPU which leaves it at
the $120-140 range hence good, better.

And now days with GPU's costing what they do you spend just as
much on them as you do CPU if not more. I am still going to stick
to my budget though.

A decent cheap case is $65 with shipping and I figure about the
same price for the PSU. So that make the budget tight when it
comes to the CPU and GPU.

Normally I would go after a mobo in the $200+ range so having this
budget mobo keeps things on the cheap. I usually look at my pc's
as a pc first, file server in its next life.

Postby Verman » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:48 am

Well I'd stay at the lower end of things. If you can get it working for what you want you can always upgrade the shit out of it. If not you still have a good file server.
The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

George Carlin

Postby Quisp » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:45 pm

Update:

I just put my order in for the X2 3800 at Newegg,
free shipping, total came $154.00 :wink:

Return to The barracks