[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Ipod Video vs. Creative Zen Vision: M

Ipod Video vs. Creative Zen Vision: M

A place to shoot the breeze.

Poll ended at Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:37 am

Ipod Video
63%
Creative Zen Vision: M
8%
Neither/Other/None
29%

Total votes : 24

Postby General Nuisance » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:37 am

Which do you like better :?: :?: :?:

I think that Trommel may have an opinion :D
ImageImage

Troll

Postby Rommel » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:45 am

Useless thread.

Postby Bobby » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:10 pm

What's the matter? Can't corner the market on useless threads?

I'll try to make something useful out of it. Feel free to add 3 or 4 more
replies to pad your post count.

On January 9th, Steve Jobs will give his annual expo keynote - he likes
to use it as a platform to announce new products, and a true, full-screen
iPod with touch-screen is (again) heavily rumoured.

There are too many problems with touch-screens (who wants finger
prints on their screen?) so if I had to guess, I bet they'd use a touch-
sensitive bezel, .

Maybe we should hold off on this iPod vs. Zen vote until the keynote.

-b

Postby General Nuisance » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:21 pm

Thanks Bobby and Trommel it has already been useful cuz you got one more post out of it :twisted:
ImageImage

Postby Bib Fortuna » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:41 pm

Yeah, I'm putting money down on the bezel as well. As cool as the touch screen would be, it would just be a big problem in the end.
"But then an even greater force emerged, “the un,” and “the un” un-Nazi’d the world, forever!"

Postby UW Ness » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:26 pm

I'll go with iPod, I'm not a fan of Apple, but I have an iPod and for the most part it works very well (though sometimes iTunes does not). On the other hand, I had gone through 4 Creative Zen Micro players that kept falling apart due to the same issue after normal use within 3 months. And I took good care of it too. I'll never buy a Creative mp3 player ever again.

Postby billy_pilgrim » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:58 pm

Holy Dick Tracy wristphone! :D
If u have 13 ice cubes and i have 38, how many pancakes will fit on my roof?
Answer: Purple, coz aliens dont wear hats !!!!!

Troll

Postby Rommel » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:57 pm

This thread isn't about zen micros, it's about vision:m's no slandering my ZEN!!

Postby UW Ness » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:28 am

Postby Bib Fortuna » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:08 am

"But then an even greater force emerged, “the un,” and “the un” un-Nazi’d the world, forever!"

Postby Crud » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:11 pm

Crazy I say some young kid on the ferry the other day watching a Video IPOD.
Man that was a hoot, crouched over it in a chair.......
It looked painful!
:shock: :lol:

I got my PSP and it kicks ass in the video screen department.
At least over the VidIPOD's screen.
:D

Postby Bobby » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:30 pm

We're not slandering your Zen... that's the one that broke 3 months
after you got it, right? Just making sure.

Ness - It plays MPEG-4 and H.264 video, neither of which are proprietary,
unlike WMV or divx. It's easy to produce video for the device - and
converting other formats like .flv is a one-click job. Depending on the tool
you use, (many are free) you'll want to encode with the baseline profile.

Ripping and encoding DVDs is fairly easy too, and I'd put H.264's quality
against any other format out there. It does an excellent job of
maintaining high quality at lower bit rates. Of course having a few cores
to share the encoding work helps... but if you're short on cycles, standard
MPEG-4 takes 1/4 of the time.

The PSP purports to play H.264, but typical Sony, they use a proprietary
muxing scheme which doesn't conform to any H.264 profile. If you're
looking to chastise somebody for non-portable video, go after Sony.

One more comment about the PSP - it has a larger screen, but is limited
to 320x240 when playing back video from memory stick. That's the same
resolution as the iPod's screen... but the iPod can playback 640x480. This
is nice, since you can rip one copy for play on your monitor and your
iPod.

No need to chime in Rommel, I know the Vision M can play 640x480
as well (again, on a 320x240 screen.)

Unless the Vision M is broken.

-b

p.s. If you're a frequent flyer, the video iPod is a great toy. Rip a couple
of DVDs before you go (TV shows are perfect - not too long, and they're
already 4:3 format - I go with futurama, family guy and millennium) and
tune out. The screen size is really a non-issue when you actually use it.

Another option are the games. They're pretty good.

Postby Crud » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:36 pm

Postby Bobby » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:27 pm

You're right. Having to install hacked firmware is clearly a plus in
the PSP's column. Even at 'full high rez' it's still only what, 420x272? So
you'd need two versions anyhow for PC and PSP playback.

Can one even play PSP-encoded on their PC?

-b

Postby lilGenie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:07 pm

And the winner is......

............ B. :-)

Next

Return to The barracks