[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Black Mesa!!

Black Mesa!!

A place to shoot the breeze.

Black Mesa!!

Postby UW Ness » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:12 am

Anybody looking forward to this mod as much as I am?? Man, it looks so awesome, the team is doing an excellent job, I have to say. The screenshots for some of the maps look incredible, I can't wait to play it.

They have a teaser trailer posted up for download, it doesn't really show much other than level design, but the test chamber looks pretty sweet, so does the blast pit.

I've been playing through HL Source, and it's just not up to snuff with the Source engine. But Black Mesa, I swear it's going to blow my socks off.

Can't wait. :D :D :D

Postby Hammy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Thats reminds me, I should probably finish half-life and start playing half-life 2.

Postby Dis Skillz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:32 pm

Been waiting for a while and will continue to wait til this bad boy comes out. I hope nothing bad happens and it will be released, I don't care how long it will take but as long as it comes out, I will be very happy.

Postby S1080 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Postby UW Ness » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:59 pm

Postby Brinkmen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:05 pm

Postby UW Ness » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:58 pm

Dude are you kidding??? Of course Half-Life is available on Steam, it's the game that made VALVe into what it is today! It's won a ton of gaming awards, including Game of the Year by several publications.

I'm shocked that there are people that are into CS and DoD and have never played Half-Life, I always thought is was the main reason people got into CS and DoD, since they started off as mods. Anyways, it (along with HL2 and basically any VALVe game) is on my list of best first person shooters ever, in fact it tops it. If you haven't played it, you need to play it.

But if I were you Brinkmen, I would go to a store and find the package deal for Half-Life, the one that comes with HL, CS 1.6, DoD, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and TFC and buy that, I'm pretty sure you can find it for 20 bucks or less (none of these games are Source, but it's all good). And you might even be able to just register your cd key on Steam so you won't need the cds. Don't quote me on that though. It's a very good deal, and it's definitely worth it, they are all fun games.

I wish I could recommend waiting for Black Mesa since it is going to beat the crap out of the old Half-Life (it's a total conversion mod for HL into Source, fyi), but who knows when it'll come out, so my recommendation is to go grab that bundle and get started. They are excellent games, mark my words. Then once you beat it, get HL2, beat it, get HL2: Episode 1, beat, then wait for Episode 2. I guarantee you will be hooked on this series, it's that good. Sorry, I'm sort of rambling, but you made me do it!!!

(One last thing, since HL2 and Ep1 have been out for a while, I'm betting you can find bundle deals that'll come with other source games in stores for cheaper than you can get them on Steam, and they'll come with additional games that you'd have to buy seperately on Steam, so do a little shopping around for the best deal. But in either case, GET THESE GAMES!!!)

Postby Brinkmen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:09 pm

Postby Boslap » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:15 pm

Bend Over and Squeel Like A Pig - Boslap

Postby UW Ness » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:23 pm

Oh I can assure you they are better than Halo, definitely.

If you can run DoD:S fine on your comp, you will be able to run any of the non Source Half-Life 1 era games perfectly with probably highest settings. But do keep in mind that those games are several years old, and the graphics are not so good compared to Source. But nevertheless, they are still awesome games, and I would not recommend playing them out of order.

And as for the other Source games like HL2 and the Episodes, you'd be able to run them, but I couldn't tell you on what kind of settings. If you have DoD:S running fine with high settings, the Source Half-Life games will probably be fine (dunno about the HDR though). I was able to play them on my old laptop that wasn't all that powerful on medium settings just fine (no HDR), so you should be good. I can play them on low settings on this piece of junk, and your laptop is better than this thing.

The only other thing I'd have to say is you might not find Half-Life as good now than if you played it a few years ago, back then the graphics were pretty good so playing it now would be kinda like playing a Super Nintendo game after being used to Gamecube or PS2. But either way, it's a good game, and it is completely necessary to get into HL2, which is even better IMO. Just don't expect it to blow your pants off, it's the subtle things and the story line that do it for me. And the fact that you have to piece together information yourself and try to figure out what's going on. And once you get into the Source games that continue the plot and have better gameplay, I think you'll really enjoy it. :)

EDIT

And once you've played through all of them and you look back at the original Half-Life, you'll be itching to get your hands on Black Mesa as much as I am :D

Postby Dis Skillz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:42 pm

Postby Brinkmen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:55 pm

Postby UW Ness » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:11 pm

Postby Bib Fortuna » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:44 am

"But then an even greater force emerged, “the un,” and “the un” un-Nazi’d the world, forever!"

Postby UW Ness » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:36 pm

Yeah it's a little bit better, but I think it's rather unworthy of the 'Source' in the title. Black Mesa is going to make it totally obsolete, from the looks of it. Which is definitely a good thing :D

Oh by the way Brinkmen, I've started playing through HL2 again on my crappy computer, I have integrated graphics, 512mb of RAM, and a 1 Ghz processor and it's doing pretty well, I've got most all settings on medium and HDR is on (so it says, not sure if I'm seeing it) and it's doing alright. If I remember correctly your laptop has better stuff than this computer so you should have no problem running HL2

Next

Return to The barracks