[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Apple MacBook and BootCamp

Apple MacBook and BootCamp

A place to shoot the breeze.

Apple MacBook and BootCamp

Postby Bib Fortuna » Tue May 01, 2007 3:57 pm

"But then an even greater force emerged, “the un,” and “the un” un-Nazi’d the world, forever!"

Postby Bobby » Tue May 01, 2007 4:37 pm

Follow the instructions, and check the requirements before you start
(single CD 'full' XP w/ SP2.)

You'll want to print 'em out first. It's straightforward, but since you're
creating a new partition, when you install XP you want to make sure you
format the right one with NTFS, and not the existing HFS+ partition with
OSX.

When you boot into XP, it's 100% the same as a dell or HP machine with
the same parts - so Core 2 Duo and Intel graphics. Don't expect much
with HL2, but older games run very well. I've played a lot of TFC and
DOD on one of the original Core Duo MacBooks. The iMac, Mac Pro and
MacBook Pro all have discrete graphics, and run HL2 well, as you'd
expect from the same cards in another PC.

One thing you'll want to look at is . It's a virtual machine, which lets
you run XP under OSX. It can also . Coherence
is a nice feature too.

If you've got any OSX questions, drop me a PM. I've ditched windows
for everything except playing and writing games. I guess my PC is now
my console.

-b

Postby [spoon] » Tue May 01, 2007 5:15 pm

Use Parallels. Very good program.
My dad is a mac junkie (since owning a mac classic with a 4byte external jasmine drive) and loathes all things windows. He doesnt even like having to run Office.
Unfortunately for Mac lovers, support for an accounting program died about 10 years ago. He was forced 5 years ago to adopt an XP machine which he is now able to access using Parallels.

Postby Brinkmen » Tue May 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Thanks for asking these questions. Its interesting because today at work, our Microsoft rep was in the store updating a few things and I asked him about running XP on a Mac. He said pretty much what you did, Bobby. Just that you have to make another partition.

This was also useful to me because I have decided that my next laptop will be a Mac. I just love their designs and how streamline and cool they look. 8)

What graphics card does your new Mac have, Bib? I'm curious to see how they run DoD:S, so if you could post an update once you have tried it.

Postby Bib Fortuna » Tue May 01, 2007 8:48 pm

Yeah I looked into Parallels, but the price is a tad high? I have no problem just restarting to get into Windows right now.

I won't have it until about Friday or next week. Will let you know how it goes, but I read that Boot Camp is a better solution if you want to access the 3D acceleration of the video card.

This is the one I bought:

http://tinyurl.com/2bsw38

The graphics card doesn't look too hot, but I didn't really buy it for gaming.
"But then an even greater force emerged, “the un,” and “the un” un-Nazi’d the world, forever!"

Postby Bobby » Tue May 01, 2007 9:04 pm

When you're running OSX apps, you don't need to overthink things.
e.g. The boot camp app (run under OSX) does all the partitioning for you.
You pick the size and let it do its thing.

After you install XP, stick the Boot Camp CD in while running windows. It'll
auto-install all the drivers for you.

The basic MacBook has integrated Intel graphics - - so it's not
really suitable for 3D gaming. The MacBook Pro has an ATI x1600. I expect
to see refreshed models within the next two months, in time for the back-to-
school buying season... but don't expect anything more than a newer
integrated graphics in the MacBook (GMA 3000, perhaps, but not X3000.)

Bib: Parallels is $80 US. It's a convenience thing, I guess it depends
what you're doing, and how much money your time is worth. You're
right about 3D - Parallels won't give you 3D hardware acceleration, you
need to boot into Windows... but since it's integrated graphics, you're
not gaining much.

My advice is simple: play around with OS X, and find apps that can
replace your Windows apps. There are a lot of high quality freeware
and shareware OSX apps out there (like AdiumX, Bits on Wheels,
FireStarter, HandBrake, etc.)

-b

Postby Spud » Tue May 01, 2007 9:41 pm

well while we are on the macbook topic here. What is the best lappy to be able to watch movies play with music and cruise the web. Maybe a little on the vid creating. And still be able to play dods.

Postby Hammy » Tue May 01, 2007 10:30 pm

My Macbook Pro has replaced my desktop for gaming until I invest in a peppier one. I didn't think I would like OS X but I'll admit I'm in love with it. I haven't used Vista but at this rate I'm really not interested. I bought Parallels because I'm lazy. All in all this laptop is the best money I've spent in a loooong time.

Be careful with Parallels. Boot Camp doesn't play nice with it. It may require you to activate Windows once in Boot Camp and once more with Parallels because the VM changes the hardware profile. It also screwed with my Office 2003 and OneNote 2003 activations. You may be making some calls to India...

Postby fodder » Tue May 01, 2007 11:37 pm

Parallels doesn't allocate enough resources to game with. Boot camp gives you a complete intel based laptop to use. A macbook pro with comes with a decent graphics card and the dual core 2.33GHz model has 256MB of video RAM. Runs DOD:S just fine.

EDIT: Finally completed the DOD:S download last night. Plays just fine in my eyes. Installed Oblivion a few hours ago and that flies quite well. Haven't progressed to the really difficult to render landscapes yet but it's looking promising so far (for just a laptop).
__
-fodder.
Last edited by fodder on Wed May 02, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bib Fortuna » Wed May 02, 2007 7:47 am

To be honest, I plan on using OpenOffice for OS X anyway. Firefox and Thunderbird for Internet stuff. iTunes for playback. I'm really interested in the Front Row application and the remote. I already have Airport Express attached to my stereo and play music through my current PC. But having the MacBook I can carry around or using the remote will be a great way to access my music instead of having to walk to another room and get on my PC.

There are just a handful of things I'll be using the XP boot for. Maybe a few smaller games or whatever. More of a curiosity than using it for full time PC applications.

Postby [spoon] » Wed May 02, 2007 4:14 pm

Postby Bib Fortuna » Sat May 05, 2007 8:26 am

Postby Brinkmen » Sat May 05, 2007 9:32 am

Postby Bib Fortuna » Mon May 07, 2007 8:38 pm

Well I installed Boot Camp and Windows XP and everything went pretty flawlessly. One thing that is interesting is that the Windows side of things thinks I have a bigger video card than I thought. 256MB. So I tried some games out to see how it worked.

Day of Defeat (original): Perfect
Eve Online: Perfect
Day of Defeat Source: Problem

So the MacBook native resolution is 1280 x 800. I could select this resolution in the old Day of Defeat and it ran perfectly.

When I try to launch Day of Defeat Source, I see the standard load screen, then it goes black. This is a roadblock because I can't access the Options menu to change resolutions from here.

Anyone know where the resolution setting is stored in the CFG files? I looked everywhere and couldn't track it down. Once I get it running I'll tell you how it goes.

Troll

Postby Rommel » Mon May 07, 2007 9:25 pm

In your command line use these two options to set the hight and width
-w <width> - Forces the engine to start with resolution set to <width>.
-h <height> - Forces the engine to start with resolution set to <height>.

Next

Return to The barracks