[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Garand guide by Catcher.

Garand guide by Catcher.

A place to shoot the breeze.

Garand guide by Catcher.

Postby Catcher. » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:19 pm

Hey, I spend quite some time on your servers and occasionally is asked the question: "How do you use the garand so well?" (namely Bullet-Magnet, Enmity, Death Wish?) and I don't have a mike, so I decided to make this little guide of sort to hopefully help those who want to use the garand well.

:
---------------------------------------------------
First, you have to understand the garand in DoD: source. I'm amazed by people who complain that the garand doesn't 1 hit KO. So I provided the hitboxes and its damage.

As you can see, the only time you're going to 1HKO a fully health enemy is if you shoot the head! Most of the times you're going to have to land 2 hits to take him/her down. But the enemy isn't always at full health and it makes seem like the garand 1 hit kills sometimes and other times not. This confuses most new users of the garand.

It used to be 1 hit Ko if you hit the torso or head in 1.3 if I remember correctly. But they changed it in source, so either you deal with it or go with another gun.

Because of these attributes, the garand like any other gun has its strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths:
• Excels at medium to long range combat if used properly.
• Ideal for finishing over enemies weakened from combat.
• Good for targets who prone and exposes their head (snipers, mgs)

Weakness:
• Not to good at close combat.
• Gets difficult killing mobile targets.
--------------------------------------------------

The different weapons differ in recoil, accuracy, etc. So, it makes it necessary to have different approaches for each gun. What works for one gun won't work for another. This more so in the case of the garand. In my opinion, the majority of people treat the garand as an automatic and fail to realize it's a semi-automatic. I think the garand is "hard" gun to use in DoD: source because it has a unique approach or technique to use successfully.

I also feel that in order to use the garand well, you need certain personality traits, these include:

Ability to stay calm, when under fire:
What I've observe of the majority of DoD: Source players is when they're under fire from their enemy, their initial reaction is to fire as many rounds as possible back hoping to land a hit. Using this strategy will rarely work with the garand.

Patience:
Due to the high recoil of the garand, shooting as quickly as possible won't get you anywhere. Take your time with each of your shots and make each count. More on this later.

Dedication:
You can't expect to get the hang of the garand in your first day or so. It takes a lot of practice to master the gun. When I first use it, I had a hard time controlling the recoil and aiming. But over time, you start to get "used" to the recoil. For me, I think of it as being able to follow the rhythm. Now, the recoil is no problem and using the garand is second nature for me.

If this does not sound like your personality, then I recommend sticking with your easier to use automatics :/

There are a lot of tips and hints to employ when using the garand. These are:

Take your time with your shots:
I CANNOT stress this enough. Take your time, rifles are meant to be accurate, take advantage of this.

So, the next time you in a firefight with the enemy. Don't panic and empty your clip as possible.

Example of ideal garand encounter.

You see the enemy. He/she fires at you. Aim your crosshair at the enemy, and then fire. When the recoil kicks in, reposition the rifle until the crosshair is on the enemy again. ONLY when you regain control of the rifle, should you fire again. It sounds obvious but you'll be surprise by how many people freak out with the garand and end up having no shots make it. But once you get the concept and practice it, you should be able to start being effective.

Be conscious of where you're aiming at:
Because of damage hitboxes and the relative slow rate of fire of the garand, it matters where you shoot. Most of the times the enemy will be hurt from grenades or previous encounters. So, take the time to aim where it will hurt the most. Avoid shooting the limbs and go for the places that count: the torso and head area.

Example: a German is trying to light you up with a STG at medium range while crouching. It most likely will take him a second or few to take you down. Take that time to casually(or hastily) aim at his/her head and take him/her down in one shot. For me, I run into a lot of people who go fully automatic against me and take time to try to control the recoil to hit me. I use that time to aim at his/her head and put them down before they get me.

Don't be a stationary target:
I once heard from a WWII documentary, that the Germans had the message for their soldiers,"A still soldier is a dead soldier." Be mobile, don't stay in one spot too long. The especially applies for the garand. Unless you're almost sure that you will kill the enemy, shoot and dodge side to side.

The other person is trying to line you up with their crosshairs, so don't make it easy for them. Be unpredictable, strafe left then right. Be sudden in your change in directions, this will throw of your enemy. But when your shooting, stop moving to increase your accuracy. After the shot and the kick back of the recoil, start dodging again. When you're dodging, regain control while aiming at the enemy. Stop when you think you're ready and take the shot. Repeat until hopefully you killed him/her.

NOTE: Very important when facing against the Kar 98.

Those are the main points that I can think of right now on the top of my head.

The garand is much complicated gun to master than the other weapons, in my opinion. But for me, I like the challenge.

So, why am I so good with the garand? I think it's because it's really all I use.

As you can see, I don't use any automatics in the server beside the rare use of MG-42 to stop a chokepoint. Weird, huh? I don't think so.

To conclude, I hope this is helpful for those wishing to use the garand. I love using garand in Dod. And it's a more enjoyable experience when you're doing well with it. So, to everyone who asks me how I use it well, PLEASE leave me alone and stop asking!

Catcher.

Postby whatthe » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:18 am

Postby Brinkmen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:57 am

Postby Pvt_Go » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:12 am

"In peace sons bury their fathers; in war fathers bury their sons..."

Postby UW Ness » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:02 am

Postby The Spanish Inquisition » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:52 am

Image Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Postby Grouch » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:43 am

interesting
ImageImage

Postby TrappAKeepA » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:01 am

no offense, but bullshit. I hear you pop off rounds on the garand as fast as they can go. This take your time crap doesn't apply to 90% of the encounters I see/ have with you. You ability to use a garand doesn't come from years of experience or a great PC. Its one of two things. Hacks using Auto fire (which 50% of the time I think) or you've just got the little touch of fairy dust that gives you that special one up on that garand. PC's only allow someone to run the game better. I've seen people with great PC's play like ass 80% of the time. Years of play will only make you aware of how the game is played and the physics behind it. If staying cool while using the garand is the key, then thats what you have. Thats your fairy dust. No offense to these people, but neither enmity or deathwish are going to gain your ability to use a garand by reading this "garand for dummies" thread. If the key trick to the ridiculous ownage that you've displayed with the garand us "keeping cool" and "repositioning you x-hair" then this community would have a few more of you running around.
There is worse pain than yours ...

Postby Catcher. » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:32 am

I'm not a very social person. If I don't talk to you on the server, it's nothing personal.

Postby Grim_Death » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:02 am

Postby Kanadian » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:34 pm

Postby Sparky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:37 am

Postby Brinkmen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:36 pm

Postby Sparky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:25 pm

Postby lilGenie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:58 pm

What I understand from this thread is that he has provided a basic
information for the beginners AND he is past the basic stage...
that's why he doesn't use it.

Next

Return to The barracks