[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Fustrated Incoporated

Fustrated Incoporated

A place to shoot the breeze.

Fustrated Incoporated

Postby Crane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:05 pm

Hello all, my first time here. I have been playing your server as of late since it runs stock maps, no Mods, and I ping very well. However, I am a newb with some questions.

Firstly, my configs are stock except for a few weapon binds. Is there a really good webpage somewhere to tutorial on better configs?

Secondly, HOW IN THE HELL do certain people get over a 2:1 KD ratio while leading with flag caps? I just dont see how it is humanly possible on a busy server. There are too many enemy's looking for you.

I used the MG this morning and had a score of about 5-34. With soooo many people on the server, there is CERTAIN to be an enemy around every corner. Sure enough, every time I turn a corner I get fragged. On the odd occasion, I got to actually set up the MG but a few seconds later a sniper finds me. Ping! Dead again!...back to spawn and repeat.

I could use some serious tips here. Tips, tweaks, hax... whatever it takes to compete on the same level as POW players. I do OK on a server that is 12 people or less but over that I suck big time. I might as well put my dog behind the keyboard.

I think Dod is a REALLY cool game but my un-improving newbness is making me VERY fustrated. It's no fun spawning then walking down to the middle of the map to get fragged then repeat about 20 times in a row.

This noob is desperately seeking help. If all else fails, I guess I will open my own server for newbs only :lol:

Postby Major Catastrophe » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Welcome.

I just run to the flags and yell at the rest of my team to do the same. For this, I am rewarded with a nearly-unwavering 1.02 kd ratio over several years.

The most important thing you can do on this server is embrace the team concept of the game. Your kd ratio ultimately means shite. The more you play here, the higher that ratio will become, but in the end it's all about taking all the flags to win the game. When both teams focus on that, the game of DoD becomes the great experience that we all play it for.

Some off-the-cuff tips:

Don't run straight into MG fire. It makes you die.

Never stand still. It makes you die.

Communicate. Let your team know where the enemy is.

Don't block doorways and hallways. It pisses your team off.

Don't hack. Don't use exploits. It makes you go away.

If you are by a flag that is being taken by evil-doers, stop them. Like right away. Just touching it will stop the cap, and you will gain a point to boot.

If you are by a flag that takes two people to cap, and one is there, help him/her. Like right away. You never know when a routine flag-cap could turn out to be the game-winner, or prevent a win by the other team.

Learn the easy guns first. Don't grab a sniper or MG until you become familiar with the game as we play it here. We only have 3 of each, and we need good players to possess them to have a good chance to win. Work your way up to the harder-to-use weapons. You can learn them by observing their competent use.

Remember that this is a game of seconds and milliseconds. Not minutes. If someone needs aid, they need it immediately. Don't wait, if you are in a position to help the team out in any way.

Go here:

http://www.prisonerofwarclan.com/forums ... sc&start=0

Download the custom HUD, at least.

Read and understand our rules.

Other people will have more tips. Browse our forums. Learn about the people you are playing with and against. There are hints/tips/tricks scattered all over in here.

Lastly, stay off of your belly. Or I'll stand in front of you and yell until you get up. Really.

Postby Dis Skillz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:04 pm

Yes, he will yell....constantly. Don't take it personally, some people just won't move even if they could help a lot more by rushing up front.

I've played dod source since it came out and played dod since beta 3....I still am not good at MGs or sniper classes and every time I try to learn its either frustrating or I feel like I am not doing enough to help (I may have some good streaks with a sniper, but thats about it).

A good idea as Major pointed out is to try a different weapon that is easier on you so that you can get a better feel of how the game works and let you survive a bit longer to grow familiar with the maps, which brings me to my next point.

Over time you will develop the sense of where enemies typically set up or come from in each map. This knowledge is a part of those people you see with high flag caps and kills. When many of the opposite team dies quickly, theres less of them to hunt you down for a few secs, which may open up opportunities for you to capture that last flag or help with a 2man cap.

Theres a lot that can be said about playing the game, but playing and watching others gives you more of a sense of what I and others are trying to convey to you.

Move up, keep the pressure on the other team, watch your fire around teammates (say sry when you do kill them, because it will happen) and forgive those who teamkill you accidentally.

Do your best to help your teammates to achieve goals, like joining in a two person capture point, or keeping the enemy away from breaking the capture if theres enough ppl taking it.

Anyways I will stop rambling and probably confusing you more =D

Postby UW Ness » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:29 pm

My best advice is to learn the maps well, after playing them several times over you will know exactly where choke points are, where to expect enemies, good spots for setting up an MG, etc. Those all come with more time playing so hang in there and you'll definitely improve just because of that. But take heed to the other advice posted and you'll improve even more. Good luck!

Re: Fustrated Incoporated

Postby whatthe » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:39 pm

Postby Sparky » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:07 pm

Follow me and when I get killed pick up my dog tags and tell my mom I love
her. :P

Welcome to the battlefield helping your "team", win hopefully, by as some people have mentioned, NOT BLOCKING Any halls or doorways!! Pet peeve
of mine, having fun, did I say helping your "team" win and NOT BLOCKING
any doorways :lol: Learning the maps well help you a hundred fold, listening,
for directional gun shots, allied weapons and axis weapons have different sounds, looking at who and what is being killed in HUD and some people find
the mini map very helpful, although myself never use it. But sitting in your teams spawn well guarantee you are only helping your team "lose".

The below is just my humble opinion:

"The only time you are not moving is if you are defending the middle flag or one of the enemies first or second flags so the rest of your team can
secure the remaining flags, if you are defending advance as the front lines advance."

You'll obliviously develop your own style and techniques as you get more
experience, have fun and see you on the battlefield.

Re: Fustrated Incoporated

Postby lilGenie » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:31 pm

Postby Grouch » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:38 pm

ImageImage

Postby Cpt Ukulele » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Welcome Crane.

You already got excellent advice in this thread. I'll just point you to too, many tips from many people there.

Before respawning, try to determine quickly what went wrong, what got you killed. Did you try to set up in an area covered by an enemy sniper? Did you set up in a spot that's easy to flank? You'll pick up new clues and techniques constantly at the beginning. If you see a machine-gunner who's doing well, check out the spots he's using. If you're not familiar with a map, you should probably use another weapon, such as the assault or support class; you'll be able to learn the map better by being mobile. Just keep playing in an engaged and aggressive way and you'll improve.

Enjoy the game. Soon enough you'll be able to look back and appreciate how much you've improved.

Postby Quisp » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:51 pm

And by all means DON'T go looking for h@x because it's the fast track to
the short bus out of here permanently. The majority of the players on this
server have been playing for a long time and use noobs to feed off. Don't
be their feed, stay moving, take your time when aiming so you can hit
your target. If you panic and quickly spray your weapon, a good player
will line up his shot before pulling the trigger and your dead cause all your
bullets were all scattered past him.

There is lots of good advice around here and you will improve with time.
We all started at one point and learned the ropes, give it time and you
will see improvements come.

Postby Crane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:12 pm

I know this game is all about capping flags. That is what I like to do. However, it's tough to do from spawn. That is why I am concerned of my k:d ratio.

When it comes to capping:

A) I will rush a flag though a death is eminent
-I have one a few maps that way and every cap helps.

B) Been the fourth guy on a two man cap
-who knows when the other two get taken out.

However, it's reeeeal difficult to even get to the last flag with a map crawling sooo many enemy's:

A) Snipers-snipers DONT miss for some reason even though the scope bobs.
B) Enemy attacks from behind
C) Enemy around every corner
D) I just plain lose a battle cuz I dont get head shots. Trust me. I try.

So, taking the MG to an ideal position is impossible, at least for me. It was soooo fustrating when it took me 10 tries to get the MG to a location. I got it set up then... TINK! A sniper finds me.

I have been playing Dod:S for about 4 months now. I know:

A) Dont block doorways.
B) Dont stand in front of Sniper or MG.
C) Dont go back to a position I was sniped at UNLESS I notice the sniper was taken out while I am in spawn(I live there). I always take note of who sniped me. I also try to see where he got me from. However, many times I cant find him.
D) Hide in the shadow's.

This afternoon I played Support and Assault. I did better. I managed to cap a few flags and my k:d was a slight improvement over the MG. Yet, my score was near the bottom of the list. That means... I didnt contribute much for the team. :( As I have said before, I dont do too bad on a 16 slot server but the 32 slot is TOUGH.

btw. I have never hacked before. I dont know how or where to find them. I was not serious about that.

Postby Dis Skillz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:21 pm

Not necessarily. Stats alone dont dictate your contribution fully. If you are sitting back camping in a dark corner with a high kill count, then thats not helping. If you are rushing ahead and maybe score a kill or 2 that may have saved a capture from being blocked is way more productive and helpful and would not be necessarily shown on your scoreboard.

Postby Crane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Postby Cpt Ukulele » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:50 pm

Postby whatthe » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:58 pm

Next

Return to The barracks