[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Want to know what all of us Apple Fanboys rely upon?

Want to know what all of us Apple Fanboys rely upon?

A place to shoot the breeze.

Want to know what all of us Apple Fanboys rely upon?

Postby Apple » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:30 am

The Apple Fanboy Credo, of course.

1. There is a vast, worldwide conspiracy to destroy Apple. It includes journalists, Microsoft, and the business community in general.

2. Any attack on Apple is, in addition, a personal attack on you. Retaliation for these attacks must be swift, personal, and based on the concept that ‘the best defense is a good offense.’

3. Anything not entirely favorable said about the Mac, the iPod, the iPhone, or any Apple product is an attack on Apple and a personal attack on all Macintosh users. (See #2.)

4. Anything positive said about a competitor to the Mac, the iPod, the iPhone, or any Apple product is an attack on Apple and a personal attack on all Macintosh users; it must be met with an immediate counterattack that stresses the quality of the Mac compared to the PC regardless of what the original products were. (See #2 and #11.)

5. Leaving Apple or an Apple product out of any discussion to which it can be related (e.g., the graphical user interface, MP3 players) is an attack on Apple and a personal attack on all Macintosh users, no matter what the topic of the discussion. (See #2.)

6. Aside from the staff at Mac-related publications, e.g., MacWorld, the only journalists who know anything about computers are Walt Mossberg and David Pogue. (Note: “Knowing something about computers” is synonymous with loving and praising the Mac.)

7. Whenever in a discussion with the other kind of journalist, it is important to remind him/her that he/she can’t hold a candle to them.

8. The superiority of the iPod is clearly demonstrated by its popularity. The inferiority of Windows is clearly demonstrated by its popularity.

9. No one could possibly use Windows by choice; they must do so because they don’t know any better. It’s important to educate them about the Mac as frequently and as loudly as possible.

10. It’s important to bring up viruses, Trojans, and spyware whenever discussing Windows or the Mac. Ignoring the existence of anti-virus and anti-spyware software for the PC (and the fact that it updates itself automatically), is permissible.

11. Anything good about Windows was done by Apple first. If someone likes a particular Windows program or feature, it’s a good idea remind them of Apple’s precedence — and to point out how foolish they are for liking the Windows version. This does not apply to the two-button mouse.

12. Every discussion of any Apple product must always be brought back to how much better the Mac is than a Windows PC, regardless of the original subject. :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Apple owns any and all competition hands down!

Any and all insight is greatly appreaciated thank you (Especially from General Meyham and Nuisance) :!: :twisted:

Postby [disney] co-ops » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:45 am

Postby Brinkmen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:58 am

Postby fodder » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:09 am

I have a new Macbook Pro from work. That's the machine I was using at the last LAN party running XP. I've managed to run Vista in a virtual window as well. It seems faster than my home gaming machine. Although gaming in a virtual machine won't work, dual booting into XP games just fine for me.

The only reason I don't have a Mac as a home desktop is I like to tinker and upgrade on the cheap. I wouldn't call myself a Mac fanboi but they have some cool stuff that sometimes justifies the cost.
__
-fodder.

Postby Crazycarl » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:09 am

I always wondered they same thing as Brink

The other thing that has always kept me from mac is the fact even a pc dumb I am I can still build them and have had good success .

Postby Fire Marshal » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:26 pm

I remember post by Bobby. Shows the power of a MAC PRO. Read his p.s. statement.

I would LOVE to have a MAC desktop, but it costs far more than I would like to spend.

Postby Bobby » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:13 pm

Yeah, the Mac Pro quad Xeon is a high-end box. It's a workstation class machine, not a desktop... oh, and
now they've gone to 8 cores. ;)

I'm looking forward to the next iMac revision. There are no details out (no timeline, no specs, just rumours on
an even thinner enclosure with no 'chin' at the bottom) but I suspect it'll be an excellent choice for games under
XP. If the specs look good, I'd be tempted to get the 24" version, upgrade the video card, and use it for games
and as a TV (comes with the remote and front row software.) Then I can ditch my PC and the 27" CRT TV in
my office.

There are pros and cons to both Macs, OS X, PCs and Windows. They're tools, and each one has its niche.

OS X's big positives are the tight integration between apps and the OS, the relative security vs. Windows,
and its ubiquity across hardware (macs aren't the only machines that run OS X - AppleTV, the iPhone and
eventually the iPod as well.)

Try comparing the iLife suite apps and how they work together with the stuff that ships with Windows, and
you'll understand why people prefer Macs. As for security, regardless of why OS X is more secure, it's
more secure. I don't know any Mac owners who run anti-virus software. That saves RAM and CPU cycles for
more important stuff.

Clearly OS X's big negative for this crowd is lack of native games. It's not any flaw with the hardware or
OS (leaving the debate between OpenGL vs. DirectX for those more knowledgeable than us,) but a question
of economics for game developers.

As more OS X users join the market (across different devices,) it'll become more attractive to developers,
which in turn may help fuel a positive cycle. However, because OS X is scaling down for portable devices with
power constraints, it'll be the casual game developers who move in, not the Valve's of the world.

That's where the Mac's biggest pro comes in: It runs x86 hardware, and you can install and boot into XP. All of
those windows games will now run at full power, just as they would on the same hardware in an HP or Dell
box. For less demanding apps, you can run Windows side-by-side with OS X, and pretty much any flavour of
unix if you're into that kind of thing. If you're a cross-platform developer, it's a must have.

There are also little design touches that set Apple hardware apart from PC makers, like a magnet embedded
in the side of the iMac to hold the remote control; keyboard's backlighting automatically adjusts to the amount
of ambient light; motion sensors that shut down the hard disk if you drop a laptop (to avoid a head crash);
magnetic power cable connection that detaches if you trip over it; etc.

The Mac's big negative is lack of customization. You have very little room to customize the hardware to fit
exactly what you want. As the market continues to move to laptops and smaller, portable devices this
negative won't be as big, since customization of these devices is rare (i.e. if you want to build your own
laptop, your choices are limited.) The iMac may pretend to be a desktop, but it's the same guts as the MacBook
Pro - it's a laptop in disguise.

Because Macs come in a small number of SKUs, it leads to the 'Macs are way more expensive' myth. This was
true in the PowerPC days, but since the switch to Intel if you compare identical features to 1st tier vendors
(Dell, HP, etc.) you'll find that Macs are similarly priced, if not cheaper. This is very apparent with the high-end
models - MacBook Pros and Mac Pros have substantial savings over the competition (if you ever go to a tech
conference, - you'll be surprised by the high number of MacBook Pros,) but for the kids
in the crowd here, the lower-end models aren't as competitive.

So, for most here it's not a great option as a PC replacement... but for some of you out there at the mid and high
end, it's worth checking out. You might be surprised how enjoyable it is to dump reliance on Windows for everything.

-b

Postby UW Ness » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:50 pm

Man sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who likes Windows! I haven't tried Vista at all, but I'm happy with XP... I've had to use Macs before at school for scanning negatives and demuxing videos to put on my iPod, and I'm just not keen on them. I don't really like the interface among other things, and honestly the whole "Macs never crash" thing is BS, I swear that every other time I've used one, it's frozen, no exaggeration. And I know that they're supposed to be fashionable and hip these days, but when I have to use one I feel like I'm using some gimmicky device without much function.

Of course, I like being able to play good games, so Windows is the clear choice for me (sure I could dual boot, but I'm not that smart with computers, plus there's really nothing I need a Mac for that a PC can't do), and being able to upgrade individual parts is important also. But Apple's whole ad campaign bugs the crap out of me, trying to be all pompous and stuff. And their ads are dumb, saying all this stuff they can do that PCs can do, but they never mention games, and praise their built in (poor quality) camera, makes me laugh. And the one about Mac Geniuses, how you can go get help with stuff like "connecting to a wireless network" like it's really hard to do. And Apple's post is pretty much spot on with every Mac user I've ever met :lol:

If there's only one person on this forum that I'd listen to for computer advice it's Bobby, but not even he could convince me to switch to Mac. I'll never abandon Windows! NEVER!!! :P :lol:

(but I would love to play all those cool learning games again on a IIgs, Mac SE, and PowerMac :D )

Postby yoda_mao » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:51 pm

Postby Apple » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:16 pm

Hear Hear Bobby well said :!: For wit i give Apple the preeminence they possess it abundantly :twisted: Windows held sovereignty. They could have been greater still. But they had not the courage to be loyal. Only the convictions of their own vanity. All must look up to something greater then themselves. They must be able to touch the divine, here on earth. :twisted:

Postby The Advent » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:43 pm

Postby Brinkmen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:09 pm

Postby Apple » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:19 pm

Last edited by Apple on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby UW Ness » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:26 pm

Postby fodder » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:10 am

Once again, pr0n is the main driver of the internet.
__
-fodder.

Next

Return to The barracks