[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Wireless Help

Wireless Help

A place to shoot the breeze.

Wireless Help

Postby UW Ness » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:00 pm

Postby lilGenie » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:02 am

There could be various issues in making wireless connection. The TKIP
encryption, wireless access list, or DHCP - anyone could be an issue.

Before you try to connect, Click on Start -> Control Panel. Select "Network
and Internet Connections" and then select "Network Connections". Right
Click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. When the
new window pops up, on the "General" tab, scroll down and select internet
protocol. Now click on Properties button.

Another window will pop up and check to see on the general tab that you
have "Obtain and IP address automatically" option selected. If not, select it
and click OK on last two windows that have opened.

If you are connecting to a network AP with TKIP or any security option
enabled, you need to provide the key/Passphrase while making the
connection.

If it fails at acquiring the address, make sure the DHCP option is enabled
on the router.

To see the results of ipconfig command, run it in command prompt. Press
WIN key+R (or click Start -> Run), type cmd, hit enter. You will see the
MS-Command window. There type "ipconfig/all" and it won't disappear as
soon as it finishes executing the command.

If you are not able to connect to the router from her chomputer using the
default IP address (192.168.0.1), then she might have changed it.
Find the correct IP address, and try again. Another possibility is that you
might have poop-ups disabled. Generally, when you access such routers
using your web browser, it poops up a window, asking login credentials.
Hope you have completed that step.

Once you are able to login, check to see the wireless card access list if this
router supports it. In some routers, you can enter the MAC addresses to
allow/deny the connection (even if you know the pass-phrase). If it has
such option, either enter your MAC address (you should get it using the
ipconfig/all command) or disable this option just to test if you can connect.

These are the few things that I can think of now (I am half asleep). Let me
know how the troubleshooting goes and I would be able to help further.

p.s.: Forgot to mention - your chomputer's MAC address is the Physical
address.

Postby UW Ness » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:15 pm

Thanks for the help Genie, I tried working on that stuff before I encountered more problems.

Everything on your list checked out, until I started doing the MAC address list:

I got into the router stuff on her computer, didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I started to add my MAC address to the list along with hers and set it to allow, but sometime while doing that her wireless went out for seemingly no reason. So now I can't access the router at all. I've been able to get my computer to try and access the internet, but it still gets stuck at 'aquiring network address.' My IP address is still showing up in the command prompt as 0.0.0.0, and after her wireless went out, hers does too. Her computer detects the network, along with several others, but will not connect to ours.

One thing I noticed, when setting up my wireless I had to put in that huge string of characters to unlock it or whatever (I have to use the software that came with my wireless thing) and she's just using the Windows wireless program, and hers asks for a password to connect, I've never come across that... but that doesn't explain why hers won't connect anymore.

I tried using the wire to connect her computer to the router, and that didn't work. Neither of our computers will connect with the wire. The light on the cable lights up when I plug it into my computer, and the port on the router becomes active when it's plugged in, but it's like there's no information being sent.

Postby lilGenie » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:51 pm

Postby UW Ness » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:45 am

Postby lilGenie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:28 am

I looked over and found . Since, some of the guys in that forum own
similar router, and have reported issues with connectivity even with wired
connection. They do, however, suggest reseting it.

And if the Belkin connectivity software on your computer provides means to
enter the pass phrase (or the password) then my recommendation is that you
should use that instead of entering the key. Let the application generate the
key based on your pass phrase.

And for now, do not enable the MAC access list. First try to get connected and
see if it maintains the connection.

Postby Pvt_Go » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:40 am

"In peace sons bury their fathers; in war fathers bury their sons..."

Postby Quisp » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:26 pm

Postby UW Ness » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:27 pm

Postby [spoon] » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:15 pm

do the reset from within the router manager. on a linksys atleast, hitting the lil reset button does very little.

Postby MAULER » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Yes....wireless sucks is the name of my wireless network. My main comp is a direct connection, but for my lappy I have the wireless. I power outage messed with my router the other day and wouldn't even work with a cable. Had to reset it in the 192.168.1.1 manually like spoon said, then reset the modem, and then it worked. But USB wireless can be very fussy. If you can, I would recommend a PCI wireless card...Just haven't had good luck in the past with USB wireless stuff.

Postby UW Ness » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:16 pm

Postby lilGenie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:25 pm

Troll

Postby Rommel » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:27 am

Postby Pvt_Go » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:48 am

"In peace sons bury their fathers; in war fathers bury their sons..."

Next

Return to The barracks