[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - video cards

video cards

A place to shoot the breeze.

Postby The Advent » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:54 pm

Postby Quisp » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:19 pm

I hate building crap :roll:

I really find it hard to justify spending $175-$200 on something that just isn't worth it.

$200 can get you a
And from there you can build up.

example my system with I7-920, 6gig ram, Geforce 285 FTW 2gig, and
EVGA mobo. The slowest thing on my system now is the hard drive and
the only way I will reach it's full potential is to RAID or get a 10k or 15k
hard drive. But even then I think RAID is the only thing that will work to
max out my system. OK, yes I spent $1100 but worth every penny. This is
the system I will have for the next 5 years or longer. I have never been
able to say that with any other system I have ever built.

So Advent I am going to pass on helping further, just isn't my cup of tea
to build something that IMO is trash. Not bashing, just IMO is a waste of money.

But good luck, Verm is good at this end of the spectrum and I'm sure he will find something for your needs.

Postby Crazycarl » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:47 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128394

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130339

I got no problem building shit and running it . Those of us with wife and kids got too many machines to keep up tp stay up with the Jones . I am not up on cards and I have had good luck with giga MBs . This is pretty close to my set up . My MB is a different one but I have same G card and when it fubared was painless to get it replaced . Would put your system close to what my wife runs and has no problem running any games hers has a 8800 gt though . I am sure more of us frugal fuckers will chime in for yea

Postby Coca-Cola » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 pm

If u get a 1366 mobo u could get a new i-7 that's coming out.

Postby HaZZenFeFFaH » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:25 pm

IMO the m/b will be just fine if you are staying with a "budget" card of either a 4850/9800gt performance or less . As long as that board is PCI-e X16 , it should still carry the bandwidth through with minimal (2-5 %) loss in frame rates.
I have read an article on these findings with fairly current games and the pci-e x16 slot because i am currently putting together a 3870 crossfire setup on a pci 1.1 x32 board. The article lists minimal Frame per sec loss on these types of older cards . The only problem is i have to find the web page again ...LOL
Hey Advent , if you're into open box Vid cards , sometimes there are deals to be had on NCIX's E-bay auction site. Right now they have : 8800GT, 9800GT, 4850, 4670 to name a few cheaper ones.
*Update* found the link i was looking
is another chart on "who's who in the zoo" heirarchy ATI vs Nvidia

Postby Verman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:44 pm

a MB for ya. You will be able to use a 2 slot video card, and still have 2 pci slots avail. As for a video card I would go with one. Same price as the 9800+ but, a better card. Total is a little over your budget. But, I think you will find it well worth it.

You guys are way to funny.

Coca, we are triing to use existing components to keep cost down.

carl, that MB only has 2 pci slots and that card will cover one of them. Although it is a good video card. Presentally running 2 (similar) in sli. Have been for over a year now with out a hick up from either. Just can't run physX while in sli.

HaZZenFeFFaH, The post you are refering to, is well over a year old. At that time it was some what true. But, a 2.0 slot has twise the interface bandwidth of the x16. Now sence alot of newer games are using larger textures, even a card with 512 mem will lag using a x16 slot. Besides a 2.0 board does not cost any more then a x16 boards. So why go there? Also there is alot of other factors that makes his existing board not worth hanging on to.
The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

George Carlin

Postby Quisp » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 pm

then he would need to update the memory.

MSI k9n6pgm2 = DDR2 800

1, replace video = motherboard bottleneck.
2, replace mobo + video, = memory bottleneck.

you can't win this one, for each update you give up something and the circle never ends.

This is why I jumped out.

Postby HaZZenFeFFaH » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:57 pm

Postby Verman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:35 am

George Carlin

Postby Crazycarl » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:41 am

Postby Verman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Nice find carl.

That board should work sweet with Existing components.

Advent, Here's what I would do. Get the MB carl found. Swap everything over, including vid card. Don't worry about more ram right now. You aren't using 4gig's as it is. No need to get more, at this point. I'm sure you will see an increase in performance as is. Maybe not much, But you will be set for upgrading. Bank the extra cash and up it for another vid card when you have the cash.

Bottom line, you will have a foundation, to work with.

*edit*
It's a crossfire board so stick with ATI vid card.

George Carlin

Postby The Advent » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Postby The Advent » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Well after looking at my car more close, I am thinking its my fluids. I have not topped off anything for a while. So its either my transmission or my coolent (sp). So Good find on the board. As soon as I get my check cashed I will slap that boy in. Thanks for the information fellas.

Postby Verman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:53 am

good luck with both.

George Carlin

Previous

Return to The barracks