[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - New computer suggestions

New computer suggestions

A place to shoot the breeze.

Postby UW Ness » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Well I got it up and running, seems to be doing fine, just got around to making the cables all fancy and out of the way and stuff, so here's a few photos:

So about the noise... compared to the only other computers I've ever owned (a HP laptop and a Compaq desktop) it is definitely louder. It sounds like the air coming out of a vent in your floor, without the depth of an actual furnace system. But on the other hand, neither of those other computers were really designed for high end gaming and had much much less air flow. So it's tolerable, although I do have all the fans set on medium, not sure if that's even necessary or not. I'll probably leave em on medium, since I'll be doing all my heavy downloading and torrents on my old computer, I have no need to leave this one on during the day while at work or overnight.

Postby Coca-Cola » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:57 am

you could always get quieter fans.

Postby Dedeye » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 am

I have the same case, and love it.

With all the fans on Med, once you start gaming, you won't even notice.

My only beef is it collects alot of dust and crud (ha) on the front fans, where is sucks in the air. Not too bad, but my case also is close to the floor, prob the main reason.

Nice system, looks good.
Das Schlachtfeld ist mein Haus.

Postby Verman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:17 am

I'd be willing to bet the cpu fan is making the most noise. If you went with a different cooler it would help. I like the Zalman cooler. It comes with a speed control that you can put on the back of the case. Also, if you run your cables through the slots in the back plate you will have much better air flow. With cpu fan turned down and all fans on low, not much of a cpu temp increase. Very quiet, runs fine, even gaming. Video cards make the most noise with this setup. If OCing you would want to turn fans up for sure.

*edit*
Shit, I just took a look at my fan speeds and they are on low. Except cpu fan. It's about Mid.
Just turned my cpu fan down. The only noise I hear is video cards. Then again I'm old :(

Also, you should probably move the stick of ram closest to the front over 1 slot. To the blue one.
The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

George Carlin

Postby DOZER » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:04 am

Postby UW Ness » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:06 pm

Yeah it's the stock one. Doing fine so far, might upgrade to a aftermarket one in the future. And I'll probably grab another 2gig stick of ram for shits sometime. Quick question though, I want to get another fan for the side, partially for looks but then I will be comfortable keeping all the fans on low. What size fan will fit on there?

Postby DOZER » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:30 pm

it uses 120mmx25mm fans. An Antec tri-cool would go well with the rest of the fans in the case. check out sites like this when you go to re-do
all you cable managment and clean up on a rainy day, shows you alot of options for you stuff as well.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... =antec+900 there are madd pages to scroll through, have fun man. :wink:

Postby Grouch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:08 am

If i go to the next Lan everyone with an ANtec 900 case should line them up. Would look pretty cool next to eachother.

I think thats 4 of us who use them currently?

nice work Ness, satisfying isn't it?
ImageImage

Postby The Advent » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Speaking of lan party, could start the plan for a new one.

Postby Sparky » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Postby UW Ness » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Postby The Advent » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:20 am

Postby UW Ness » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Postby Coca-Cola » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:46 am

Postby Verman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:03 am

There are a million things that could cause this.

First, if you made any changes in the bios, set it back to default. Usually though if things are messed up here you don’t get much past post if at all. But, it’s the first thing I would try.

Second, if you still have both mem sticks on the same channel, move one over and see what happens. (channel 1A & 2A) Also, could be a bad stick. Run it with one stick at a time.

Third, something may be over heating. Most likely it's not the cpu. Normally when they get hot the system will just shut down. Go get a PSU tester. When it locks up, don’t turn it off, just pull the ATX plug (24 pin) out and plug it into the tester. Check the P.G value. If zero, replace PSU. Testers are around $20.

Forth, if you have access to another machine, try your video card in it. Chances are it’s not the video card, and worth a try before shipping it off. Could save you some money in shipping and restock fee’s.

If none of the above works, contact MB (help me with this cheap piece of shit) support.

This is the same symptom the 3 computers had, that I just fixed. 2 had bad MB's and the other was the PSU.

Let us know what the out come is.
The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

George Carlin

Next

Return to The barracks