[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Budget Gaming Rig?

Budget Gaming Rig?

A place to shoot the breeze.

Postby Quisp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Start with this and work it from here.

$199.99 -- ($80 cheaper then what Newegg sells it for)

Maybe the best Motherboard right now. It has SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 for the next gen readiness.

$309.99 Free Shipping*

Otherwise if the SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 is not important

($249.99 after $30.00) Free Shipping*

($199.99 after $20.00) Free Shipping*

$109.99 after $10.00 Free Shipping*

***With rebates = 759.96, which leaves you $140 for video card.
But I would suggest spending a tiny bit more for a nice video card.

I also did not include case, cd/dvd, floppy etc. (You can reuse old ones)

Bottom line is your budget of $700-900 gets stretched a tiny bit, but you went from a budget PC to a power pc for just a tiny bit more money.

I would also go windows 7 64bit since you are using 6gig ram.

You can also shop around and see if you can find a cheaper price on these parts. (i.e. Bing cashback)

My one and only post on this topic.

Postby Verman » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:53 am

Simple minds think alike. I put together about the same thing except, diff. ram manu. But, after figuring in a good vid card and OS. the price went way over the top.

Even stepping back to a socket 775 or AM3, it's hard to hit that price range for a good gaming rig. Without creating some kind of a choke point in the build.

129.99 (109.99 mir)
Total 211.98 (151.98 after mir’s)
99.99 (79.99 after mir)

$809.93 after savings and mir’s. About the best, with out preference input. This system will play the games and can be upgraded a little.
The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

George Carlin

Site Admin

Postby Hand of Doom » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks for all the information. I knew you guys would have some good ideas. I'm sticking with my budget this time, as any upgrade will show great improvements. I also don’t have the patience to trouble shoot some of the problems related to the new, high priced stuff.

Couple questions though. I’m currently running a raid setup and was wondering if this beneficial for what I’m doing now. I was just thinking about picking up that special 1TB WD drive for $89. Also, what is the REAL difference between WIN7 Home Premium and Professional? Is it worth the extra $40?

Thanks

Postby UW Ness » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:04 pm

At least for me, the only reason I really cared about Win 7 Pro is so I can do remote desktop. Which sucks since the program I use for it is having compatibility issues right now. I got a steal on it due to a student discount ($30), so you oughta try and get a hook up from anyone you know who's in college, or try and get in touch with anyone that works for Microsoft, see if they can hook that up. I think Duckman might be able to if you talk to him about it. Save you quite a bit.

I don't know a lot about hard drives, but I'm running a single 640gb drive with no partitions. It's a little over half full with all my stuff installed, and even when I had 4 gigs of RAM it boots up right quick and have had no complaints. I use my other computer for storage though, but anyway at this point I have no plans to partition, raid, or get a small drive just for the OS. I really only use my new comp for gaming, internet, and watching streamed movies over the network, but for that sort of stuff, runs like a champ.

Postby Quisp » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Postby Coca-Cola » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:59 am

Postby Crazycarl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:35 am

Postby Bib Fortuna » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 pm

Smoke and mirrors
"But then an even greater force emerged, “the un,” and “the un” un-Nazi’d the world, forever!"

Postby Verman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:46 pm

The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

George Carlin

Postby Quisp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:05 pm

Postby DOZER » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 pm

Postby DOZER » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Site Admin

Postby Hand of Doom » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:19 am

Postby Crazycarl » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am

Postby Hitman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:06 am

PreviousNext

Return to The barracks