[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

A place to shoot the breeze.

68%
32%

Total votes : 31

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Postby Quisp » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:39 pm

Postby Cpt Ukulele » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:05 pm

Postby Defpotec » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:34 pm

Re: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Postby Bobby » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:49 am

Postby Steamboat_Willy_Sr » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:22 am

Postby Bib Fortuna » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:20 am

"But then an even greater force emerged, “the un,” and “the un” un-Nazi’d the world, forever!"

Postby The Advent » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:28 am

Postby Quisp » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:42 am

Postby Triple Optics » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:10 am

"Outside of a dog a book is a man's friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Postby BlueDevil » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:45 pm

Meh, merry christmas. Soon we will all have to say Happy Christmahannakwanzica.

Postby Defpotec » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:32 pm

This country was supposed to be founded on the principle on having whatever religion you want, not just Christianity. Something that America is supposed to value, that i think is very noble, i the seperation of church and state. However, we have "In God we Trust" on every single piece of American currency, "One nation under God" in our pledge, Christmas declared as a National Holiday, and a long list of politicians loving to use the phrase "God Bless America." Obviously what we are supposed to value and what we actually do value are not the same.

Postby The Spanish Inquisition » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:31 pm

If you were an athiest, you'd be home now.

There is no god. Enjoy the wait.
Image Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Postby Promenin » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:54 pm

Here is the breakdown from the ARIS 2001 survey of 50,281 random people. It was the largest new survey I could find. I found many smaller 2-5k people surveys from more recent years that had very similar results.

Total Christian 79.8%

Total other religions 5.2%

No Religion/Atheist/Agnostic 15.0%

This PC crap has got so far out of control. This is not a religiously diverse country. Now I don't know the exact facts of when certain things become a common practice and I'm to lazy to look them up. But constantly taking away 230 years of history and traditions as to not to "offend" a small minority is just insane. I don't see how anyone can say seeing a cross on the side of the road, Merry Christmas, or the word God offends them. The word God is not Christian, it refers to any higher being. Christian, Islam, Hindu, Egyptian, Roman, etc, etc...

I am not a true religious believer I consider myself somewhat of an Agnostic. Only for the fact that each religious group thinks their god is the true god. How could that be possible? Only one of them can be right, so how am I suppose to choose one? But I am no way offended if someone wants to say merry Christmas to me, happy Hanukkah, happy Festivus, or merry falvogbuntoq day. You just smile and walk on or respond politely. People need to have some tolerance there is no way a grown man should get his panties in a wad when someone greets him. That is what people like the ACLU need to learn but claim to already have, tolerance. Just as most Americans are tolerant of their idiocy they need to be tolerant of the 80+% of the country that doesn’t believe in what they do.

How can the word God on our currency be offensive? Does it burn your eyes? Does it induce vomit? It is just a word, oh what was that saying…Stick and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. If some random stranger called you a fat f*** who cares. What if he called you it everyday oh well. So go home cry about it for an hour until you fall asleep then you get up and go out the door in morning. Eventually you will get used to it and it will no longer bother you. I know 1st hand from being a fat computer nerd when I was younger. People at school used to make fun of me, some would even physically assault me. Did I ever hit them back no, or call them names no. Mainly because I knew they would run and cry to an authority and that’s the last thing I needed. Anyways my point is people need to have thicker skin, you’d think they would get used to hearing merry Christmas and simply dismiss it.

I have no problems with Happy Holidays I often use it myself, I just think if someone chooses to say sometihng else they should be respected. So if a worker at Wal-mart says Merry Christmas to you, and you are somehow offended. You have the option to walk out of the store. Or maybe you could respond with a simple hello, happy Hanukkah, kwanzaa, ramadan or if it floats your boat Happy Devil Day!

Postby Quisp » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:48 pm

my problem with wal-mart was that employees were told they can not
use merry christmas and they are suppose to use happy holiday.
Now if the employee had a choice of saying whatever he wanted then
I would not have a problem.

But also we are now not allowed for schools to say christmas vacation
they have to call it winter break or something to that effect. So our
children are already getting it taken out of their vocabulary. It is just
a matter of time before you won't hear the word christmas.

Personally I only go to church for weddings (if in one) or funerals (if in one)
But my biggest grip is people telling me what I can and can not say or
believe. I don't work at a wal-mart nor will I ever. But to stop your
employee from vocalizing his heritage is just wrong. I would not care
if they said whatever they want, but to be told what they can and can't
say is just wrong.

So God Bless America And Merry Christmas To All.

Postby Cpt Ukulele » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:24 pm

Next

Return to The barracks