Ribbon Awards

All questions and comments about player stats should be addressed here.

Ribbon Awards

Postby Dedeye » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:57 am

WTF?

There seems to be only a select amount of ribbons (medals).

Not all weapons are represented.
I also heard that they were ripped off of BF2 ??

I love the MP44 (STG44) and there is no award?

I like having awards and ranks, but it seems they dropped the ball.
Das Schlachtfeld ist mein Haus.

Troll

Postby Rommel » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:12 pm

Yes, ribbons and awards ripped straight from BF2...If your gonna steal an idea you should at least do a half decent job of it. All weapons should have an award.

Not talking to you Doom, I talking to the hlx guys, they can't hear me.

Postby BUMCastrator » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:43 pm

How do I go about finding the necessary requirements to obtain these nice shiny ribbons of merit? har.

Postby Cpt Ukulele » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:53 pm

Postby General Nuisance » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:24 am

Were are the ribbons for Panzerschreck Hans and Noob "Advent" Gun :?: :(
ImageImage

Troll

Postby Rommel » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:49 am

I didn't feel this post needed a topic dedicated to it so I'm adding it to a topic with a close relation.

I was looking at the top POW's on the stats, Advent and I are the only ones with a bundle of awards. I have 43 Advent has 25, everybody else in the top 50 has under 10.

I thought Corny or Thompson would at least have more than ten, guess I was wrong.

Darneous, being the little devil that he is has 129...FREAK!!

Postby Emazing » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:00 am

They award excess playtime over any given 24 hour period. When I first started playing here it was during a period of a few days where I was really sick, so I was wasting the time away stuck at home. Over I think it was three days of playing 4-5 hours a day, I managed to get one award. Since then it's been impossible, sans one award for bomb planting, but I got all the bomb plants for that award during one 30-minute map.

I think it would be much more interesting if the awards were based on most kills/caps/bomb plants/etc in a round over a 24 hour period.

Troll

Postby Rommel » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:11 pm

I'm not on much but I still get tons of awards.
What can I say, I'm a good sniper and a colt KILLA!!

BTW, back when I first got DOD:S
Bazooka Joe a.k.a. Rommel

Postby The Advent » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:40 pm

i would have more but i have been consumed by wow

Postby Major Catastrophe » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:56 pm

Any awards I get are accidental. I change weapons based on what I deem necessary each re-spawn. I will use an mg, for instance, until I notice an opposing mg killing a bunch of my teammates in a row. Then I will switch to a nade-tossing class in order to suicide-kill the opposing mger.

Of course, the opposing mger will return. I can't quite understand why he/she can do this even though I have told my team it will occur. Eventually, I always seem to have to do the suicide-nade over and over.

In any event, there is no way I'm gonna get many awards. I play only to win, and I don't consider a win worthwhile if I'm on a stacked team. I change over if I consider this to be the case. I'm only gonna get a ribbon based on the weapon I deem most often useful.

Thanks for making that mp40 ribbon, Verm!

Postby Cpt Ukulele » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:14 am

Well, I was going to detail how one can get awards (and therefore ribbons), but I suddenly felt kind of tired just a the prospect of discussing something random, and without connection to the quality of play or team play, and ultimately irrelevant and worthless; so there you have it, my non-post about awards.

Rommel wrote:I didn't feel this post needed a topic dedicated to it [...]

Good call. :mrgreen:

Postby The Spanish Inquisition » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:30 am

What would be a preferred way to handle awards or ribbons?
Image Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Troll

Postby Rommel » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:46 am

I don't target awards. I just go about my business, killing tons of people and cap flags and sometimes I end up with an award for doing it well ;p

Postby Emazing » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:44 pm

Rommel wrote:I'm not on much but I still get tons of awards.
What can I say, I'm a good sniper and a colt KILLA!!

BTW, back when I first got DOD:S
Bazooka Joe a.k.a. Rommel

Well, if you look at your sessions and awards over the last 21 days for which there is session info, three of the four came during a 7+ hour session, and one over a 3+ hour session. Additionally, there are multiple 2.5+ hour sessions with no awards, despite the lofty time investment. This is a trend followed by everyone. Flukes aside, you've got to put 3-4 hours in a day before you're even a contender for any given award, and in all likelihood, it's going to go to someone who spent twice as long as you playing that day.

For those who only play an hour here and there, maybe two or three on a weekend, there's little chance at ever seeing an award.

That said, I don't care much. I set a goal each game of .5 flag captures and 1.5 kills per death. Usually I don't do that well, but it's what I shoot for, as opposed to the awards.

Even so, I think it's worth noting. The awards would be a bit more meaningful if they were given for the most kills/captures/etc on one map over 24 hours instead of simply over 24 hours.

Postby Cpt Ukulele » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:11 am

The Spanish Inquisition wrote:What would be a preferred way to handle awards or ribbons?

Maybe something along those lines:
    - weapon based awards based on kill per minute. This would mean that ideally the stats should be "fixed" to not take into account the time spent seeding with less than 12 people connected (currently, the kills are not recorded, while the time is counted, leading to a decreased k/min);

- for action based awards, express them as a percentage of the total number of actions achieved by the team during the period. e.g. during my session, I was responsible for 50% of the team's defuse actions;

- use the averages and make them weekly awards, not daily. That could help decrease the randomness due to the map votes (do I get to play a rarely voted for demolition map, or a fast paced/caps map, or a slow bottlenecky one);

- maybe earn a ribbon for 3 awards;

- an award for the lowest percentage of teamkills would be nice to have.

Just a few ideas.

Next

Return to Server Stats